We had a taste of spring, and now it looks like winter is going to hold on a bit longer. We have been busy on our farm getting our maple syrup equipment all cleaned and ready, as well as installing additional tubing to collect the sap. Some of the smaller maple producers collected sap during the warm days and have already boiled some syrup, but most of the larger producers wait until the weather is a little more predictable because of all the work involved in emptying and cleaning our evaporators so they don't freeze. The maple syrup in your shares today was freshly boiled this week at NuWay Farm.
Your farmers are also busy planning for this year, discussing delivery locations and CSA share details, planning our crops, and ordering seeds. We will open our sign-up period sometime next week, so be on the lookout for that email.
- 1/2 pt. maple syrup from NuWay Farm
- 2 lb. potatoes from Detweiler Farm
- 1 lettuce from Harmony Grove Farm
- 1 container broccoli sprouts from Harmony Grove Farm
- 2 lb. sweet potatoes from TOG
- 1 lb. purple daikon radish from TOG
- 1 lb. red onion from TOG
- 1 lb. golden beets from TOG (I urge you to try these even if you don't care for beets. They taste very different.)
When we have leftover baked sweet potato, we often make chocolate pudding. Simple and creamy.
Maple Soy Glazed Salmon: If you eat salmon, this looks like a simple recipe. I recommend coconut aminos or tamari sauce instead of soy sauce.
If you make something yummy with your CSA share, feel free to post a photo or recipe on our Facebook page!