Hide a Vegetable Soup
2 Tablespoons Butter (or olive oil for vegans)
1 med. onion, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
2 cloves regular garlic, minced
3 russet potatoes unpeeled, diced
4-5 Cups vegetable or chicken stock (enough to cover potatoes)
Vegetable: 1 bunch of greens (Swiss Chard, mustard, turnip, spinach, kale, arugula) stemmed and thinly sliced OR 2 cups of shredded summer squash OR 2 cups of diced firm vegetables such as brocolli, cauliflower, kohlrabi, turnip and/or asparagus.
1 stem of fresh Oregano
1 Tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
1/2 of a Lemon
Fresh Ground Black Pepper
1/4 Cup of Sour Cream (optional, but highly recommended)
1.Saute onion, celery and garlic in butter or oil for until tender. Add diced potatoes (and firm vegetables is using) and saute for another 2 minutes. Add some kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Add stock, bring to boil. Turn to low and cover- let simmer for 20 minutes.
2. After 20 minutes, check to see if potatoes (and firm vegetables if using) are done. They should easily be pierced with a fork. It's okay if they are a little over cooked because they are going to get pureed anyway.
3. Add fresh Oregano & parsley then greens or summer squash, if using. Let simmer on low another 5 minutes until added vegetables are soft. Turn off heat.
4. With an immersion blender, puree the potato soup, leaving some lumps. (Can also process in batches with a food processor or blender as well.)
5. Season with Juice of 1/2 a lemon, salt and pepper to taste. Stir in 1/4 cup of sour cream.
6. (optional) Garnish with any combination of the following: fresh parsley, chive flowers, fresh ground black pepper, crispy bacon crumbles, shredded cheddar cheese or crunchy onions.