Kale, Beet and Apple Salad
Serves: serves 6 to 8
For the Salad
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1 small butternut squash
- 2 bunches curly kale, torn into pieces
- 3 apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 3 medium beets of any variety, chopped into ¼-inch dice
- ¼ cup dried unsweetened cranberries
- ¼ cup sultanas
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh mint
For the Vinaigrette
- ¼ cup kombucha tea or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1 shallot, minced
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Place a cast iron pan over high heat on your stove. When it's blisteringly hot, toss in the pecans and toast them, stirring frequently, until they release their aroma. Transfer them with a slotted spoon to a plate, and allow them to cool.
- Cut off the bulbous bottom of the squash, and reserve it for another use. Peel the top part of the squash, and chop it into ¼-inch dice
- Toss the kale into a mixing bowl, toss in the squash, apples, beets, cranberries, sultanas, mint and toasted pecans until well mixed. Then arrange on a serving platter.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the kombucha, honey, mustard and shallot. When uniformly mixed, whisk in the olive oil. Dress the salad with the kombucha vinaigrette and serve.