Lentil Stuffed Red Cabbage Rolls
- 1 large head red cabbage
- 1 jar of tomato or spaghetti sauce
- 1½ cups brown rice
- 1½ cups french lentils
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 t Italian seasonings
- ½ t paprika
- sea salt and pepper
- parsley for garnish
- Rinse lentils, and boil according to package directions, set aside.
- Cook brown rice according to package directions, set aside.
- Place the cabbage on the counter, and using a sharp knife, cut out and remove the stem from the cabbage head.
- In a large stock pot, boil water, and season with sea salt. Add the whole cabbage head to the boiling water, let boil for 5 minutes, or until the outer leaf starts to pull away from the head. Using tongs, remove leaf by leaf until you have 10-12 large leaves. Let cool on a plate. Cut out one inch of the think rib, at the base of each leaf.
- While the water for the cabbage is boiling, sauté your diced onion in olive oil, in a large sauté pan oven medium heat for 10-12 minutes. Don't forget to salt the onions!
- Add the cooked lentils, cooked rice, Italian seasonings, minced garlic, and pepper to the pan with the onions. Mix to combine, let cook for 2 minutes to allow flavors to meld. Remove pan from heat.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread ½ cup of tomato sauce on the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Lay out your cabbage leaf, and spoon ⅓ cup of the filling into the leaf. Roll in the sides, and up from the bottom. Place seam side down in the casserole dish.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the top.
- Cover with foil, and bake for 1 hour.