Roasted Sweet-and-Sour Beets, Carrots, and Parsnips
- 1 pound small beets, trimmed, peeled, and cut into wedges
- 1 pound parsnips, cut into (2-inch-thick) slices
- 1 pound carrots, cut into (2-inch-thick) slices
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds, crushed
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 12 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh thyme sprigs (optional)
Preheat oven to 400°.
Steam first 3 ingredients, covered, 5 minutes. Place in a shallow roasting pan coated with cooking spray.
Combine syrup and vinegar; set aside.
Squeeze juice from lemon into a bowl; add lemon halves to beet mixture. Combine juice, oil, coriander, tarragon, and 12 thyme sprigs. Pour over beet mixture; toss well. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes. Pour syrup mixture over beet mixture; stir well to coat. Bake an additional 30 minutes or until beets are tender. Discard lemon halves. Garnish with additional thyme sprigs, if desired.