Winter tatsoi salad with butternut squash croutons
- 1 head tatsoi (a large salad bowl full of washed greens before chopping), ribs removed, cut into a fine chiffonade
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- pinch of allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt or fleur de sel
- freshly cracked pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 very tart (such as Granny Smith) apple, cut into matchsticks
- 1 shallot or 1/4 cup red onion, finely minced
1. Place tatsoi, cut into a fine chiffonade, in a serving dish or salad bowl. In a small measuring cup or bowl, whisk together vinegar, honey, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and allspice. Pour over salad and use your hands or tongs to mix it very well. Sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper and toss again. Allow salad to rest while preparing the other elements.
2. Warm 3 tablespoons olive oil in a nonstick skillet until quite hot, but not smoking. Add cubed squash and nudge each piece after 30 seconds to 1 minute, to prevent sticking. Fry squash on at least two sides until brown and crisping. When squash is cooked through, about 10 to 12 minutes (taste a thicker piece to be sure), place on a plate lined with paper towels and set aside until just warm.
3. Scatter apple matchsticks, squash, and shallot or red onion over tatsoi. Toss to coat everything with dressing.